Being safe in the cyber world has gained such importance that today, people prefer being safe from a cyber attack than a physical one. Jokes aside however, this just goes to show how common and alarming the occurrences of cyberattacks in the online world are taking place. Companies and individuals are spending sleepless nights in an attempt to safeguard and recover networks, programs, and devices.
To make this daunting task a lot easier or at least simple to understand, you need to know a few essentials about security in the online world.
There are various kinds of security in the cyber world
There are various kinds of security you need to be aware of, and they are as follows:
- Network security: This safeguards internal networks from attackers. It secures infrastructure. This includes strong passwords and two-factor authentication.
- Critical infrastructure security: This comes with cyber-physical systems. This deals with water purification and electricity grid systems.
- Information security: This type of cyber security safeguards digital as well as physical data. It protects it from unauthorized use, access, disclosure, change, deletion, and other malpractices.
- Prevention of data loss: This puts policies and processes in place so that you can manage and prevent data loss. It also comes up with recovery policies and network permissions that enable data storage.
- Cloud security: This is a software-based tool that protects and looks after your data in the cloud. It also does away with risks that come up with on-premise attacks.
- Application security: This makes use of software and hardware to fight against external threats that arise in the development stage of an application. This encompasses firewalls, antivirus programs as well as encryption.
These are the various kinds of security you can come to expect from these various security measures.
The kind of cyber threats that can attack
There are various kinds of cyber attacks that can not only take your peace of mind but also your well put up programs and defenses. In order to be able to protect your setups against this, you need to pay attention to the various cyberattacks that exist. Usually, attacks take place on the following:
Attacks on integrity
These attacks are mostly on enterprise or personal sabotage. This usually occurs in the form of leaks. The attacker accesses and puts out your sensitive information on display. This ensures your data is exposed which causes the public to remove their trust in you as an individual or company.
Attacks on confidentiality
These attacks are formulated to steal your personal identifying information. It also robs your bank account as well as credit card details. After this attack is successful, they sell or trade your information on the dark web. This makes it easy for others to purchase and illegally utilize your confidential data to their benefit.
Attacks on availability
An attack on availability occurs when the users are blocked from utilizing their own data. This is done until they pay a ransom or fee. In a general case of an attack on availability, the cybercriminal infiltrates a network. It then authorizes parties from accessing important data. This forces you to pay the ransom. Most of the companies pay the ransom amount and then repair the vulnerable areas. This ensures business activities are not halted in any way.
Cyber threats can affect you in various ways. In the form of peer to peer file sharing and suspicious websites that attract users to download malware. It can also impact your computer and network through phishing emails and torrent downloads. It is important to get the right cyber security training and have the right professionals on board to help you out with this process. This gives you the peace of mind knowing that your network is in safe hands.